Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fell in a Dungheap...

Came out smelling like a rose beer.

After my volunteer gig/work extravaganza, I have to confess I slept until noon today. When it's a dreary, cold day, sleeping until noon is one of the great luxuries in which one can indulge. Today, however, it was a sunny, summery day (mid-80's Fahrenheit), so I felt a minor pang of guilt in sleeping in on such a glorious day.

When I finally got my ass in gear, I decided to take a long walk on the path by the Bronx River Parkway. After getting the blood moving, I stopped by to patronize the local ice cream vendor, who I have known for years. While buying my "toasted almond" popsicle, I ran into an old friend and former housemate, my great and good friend **REDACTED**, a guy who I have known since high school, who was one of my housemates in the infamous "beach house without an ocean". Hail and well met, old chum! He was meeting another old friend and former housemate at a bar which had recently opened- Growlers Beer Bistro in Tuckahoe, NY.

Upon arriving at the bar, we discovered that the owners were throwing a fundraiser for a friend who'd come on hard times. Twenty bucks for unlimited pints of Brooklyn Brown Ale and Lagunitas IPA, along with a couple of absurdly large sandwiches (chicken cutlets, FTW!). To put it succinctly, Christmas came early! The unexpected Big Beer Nights are the best Big Beer Nights, especially when they start in the afternoon, and are well-nigh ridiculously inexpensive.

I'm a little beery even now, after having downed a couple of cups of coffee, but I promise to write of the extremely nice, but sorta creepy lunatic I had to deal with last night. I think the story is worth it, but I need some time to write the post.

5 comments:

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

Stories about creepy people? That is appointment reading, my friend.

Also, all your personal anecdotes are so bittersweet to me. You seem so immersed your communtity. I'm out here in the burbs of DC. May as well be in some backwater town with good shopping. I would kill to be so in the thick of things. *sigh*

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Your Lagunitas link has your blog url stuck in it.

India Pale Ale
Thanks for choosing to spend the next few minutes with this special homicidally hoppy ale. Savor the moment as the raging hop character engages the imperial qualities of the Malt foundation in mortal combat on the battlefield of your palate!
ABV: 6.2%


:D

Laura said...

I hate beer! Blah!
But this "toasted almond" ice cream and chicken cutlet sandwich sound divine!

((Hugs))
Laura

Mandos said...

The toasted almond popsicles are Valar-approved.

Actually, having lived in the DC burbs myself---well, the inner burbs at least---I will say that the backwater town with good shopping might be better if you actually want community.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Also, all your personal anecdotes are so bittersweet to me. You seem so immersed your communtity.

I love, love, love the city in which I live, warts and all.

ABV: 6.2%

Yeah, that's a good thing!

I hate beer! Blah!

More beer for me. WOOT!!!

The toasted almond popsicles are Valar-approved.

Yeah, that marzipane-y filling is really awesome. I hadn't had one in years, but the ice cream man didn't have my usual coconut Frozfruit.