Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Cool Kids are Moonblogging!

Sometimes, you just gotta follow someone's lead. Hell, I've done moonblogging before, and it never gets old (like the moon itself, it never gets shopworn).

The moon has been gorgeous all weekend... I should know, I watched a glorious moonset in yesterday's pre-dawn hours, then returned to work (after three hours of sleep) in the afternoon, and spent the evening under a fantastically beautiful full moon. I should have worn moonscreen, as I woke today with some peeling on mah nose. I always joke that my job is extremely cushy except when it's not, and this was one of those "not" weekends. My department is small, so when things are busy, we get overextended. I worked a graveyard shift, then had to work some hours at an event.

This entire month, we have a bunch of fundraising events at the end of our busy season. We go on hiatus at the end of December, and much of our workforce, being seasonal, is laid off for two months. It's a bittersweet time of the year, as the year-rounders like myself say "see ya later" to the ten-month workers, and the other seasonal employees. For the next two months, things will be very quiet, and my constant workplace companion will be the cold wind of winter. The December fundraisers are low-key, and the events are spectacularly beautiful, so we end things on a high note. Yesterday was an especially nice night to work, even with the sleep deprivation (working much of the night outside helped- I find the cold bracing).

This was yesterday morning's moonset, a sad little blur of a picture taken with the workplace cell phone:





The picture doesn't capture the pale yellow beauty of the orb, partially shrouded by wispy clouds, and setting over a calm body of water. Yes, that picture was taken at work- is it any wonder that, even when I am getting my ass kicked schedule-wise, I love my job?

6 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The shadows cast by the moon on the deck last night were amazingly sharp.

P.S. Better to go on hiatus than Hiatt-ass, I always say.
~

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

What does thunder have against John Hiatt? He's OK. I mean, I don't hate him or nothing.

Vonnie said...

Lovely post, lovely moon.
I kept staring at it this weekend too.

Hamish Mack said...

John Hiatt, "Crossing Muddy Water" is a very good album. Thunder is just a H8er. Sadly he takes it out on Mountain laurels who are largely innocent.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Sadly he takes it out on Mountain laurels who are largely innocent.

I thought Ombudsmoose Clyde was responsible for the mountain laurel massakree.

Smut Clyde said...

I have never met this Laurel and I am sure I never mounted her.