Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Laptop Situation, Continued

Okay, so the laptop I purchased (used, but "current"- if that term can ever be applied to computers) last year is still in the shop. The screen was extremely dark (oddly enough, I could "read" it if I shone a really bright light at the screen), and it's been in the shop for about two weeks. In the meantime, the power supply that I finally got around to ordering for my 2004-vintage Compaq Presario 2000 arrived in the mail. The old machine's held up pretty well, though the "finger pad" is partially worn through, the cover of one of the "mouse" buttons has fallen off, and there's a slight crack in the "case". Besides being slow due to a nearly full hard drive (damn, 60 Gigabytes sure seemed like a lot of memory), the machine runs pretty well. I am using an outdated browser, so the Y00t00b gives me some grief, and some websites inexplicably crash, but I can write, and I can read, and I can write on what I read... it feels great to be the bastard once more!

12 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Welcome back.

I still recommend one of them Dell D630s from the auction site. (And it is on one of them that I'm typin' atchoo now.)
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Hopefully, the proprietor of the shop will get on the case with mah masheeen!

Hamish Mack said...

Yay, see unspecified threats will work.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

At what point do you say "fuck it" and go for a new pooter?

At the point the guy gives me a refund so's I can buy one. It just goes to show you, though, how crappily everything is built these days, the 2004 model is more durable than the 2011 model.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

Yeah, that's a depressing commentary, ain't it?

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Yay, see unspecified threats will work.

I'll just channel Chris Christie, aka Phony Soprano.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Depends; I still have a couple of G3 towers that are working fine, if you can tolerate an old version of OS X.

Substance McGravitas said...

You and Brother Dreher are in the same boat.

Laura said...

Do you need me to come down there and bust some knee caps for ya?
I am SO GLAD that my Big Bastardo is back too!!!!!!!

((Hugs))
Laura

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Do you need me to come down there and bust some knee caps for ya?

I figured you were more the type to strangle them with your apron strings.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Laura's theme song?

Laura said...

I figured you were more the type to strangle them with your apron strings

What an awesome idea! :) I guess I'm just in a kneecap bustin kinda mood these past few days.
Do you ever feel like smacking the crap out of people or, could it just be the Sicilian blood pounding through my veins?

Zrm... I love that song! I really want a Rush theme song though... :)