Sunday, March 9, 2014

Slacking Off on My March Tradition...

So... it's nine days into March, and I've been pretty lax about my runup to the Solemn Feast of St Patrick. Happily, my great and good friend JCo, an old high school chum who now hangs his hat in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area, has gotten me back on track by sending me a great video of an old favorite, a duet between Shane MacGowan and Sinéad O'Connor:





J-Co's email accompanying the link was terse, but hilarious: I love the way they filmed this so that the microphone covers Shane's teeth! I would add that Ms O'Connor looks particularly winsome and pixieish in this video.

The Pogues song Haunted was originally sung by Cait O'Riordan, and a snippet of it can be heard on the Sid and Nancy soundtrack.





I think I prefer Cait's version of the song- I prefer her raw-yet-melodious delivery to Sinéad's breathy-and-ethereal vocal. I'm happy that the song was redone, though, because it helped to put the original version on the map. The other Pogues song on the soundtrack was Junk Theme, an instrumental which actually was featured in the movie.

Go raibh maith agat, JCo, for keeping me on track!

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

My entire March so far this year is one big slackfest. I didn't plan it that way...
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

If you plan a slackfest, is it really a slackfest?