Saturday, May 17, 2014

Wait Wait... Don't Leave Me!

Today was a bit of a bummer- Carl Kasell, formerly of "Morning Edition" had his last "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!" broadcast today. I always loved Carl's turn on the show- for a VERY SERIOUS JOURNALIST, Mr Kasell had one hell of a sense of humor. Listening to him was reminiscent of my brilliant grandfather cracking a joke- always a treat to hear such an intellect being exercised in the service of jocularity.

I made sure I woke up in time (having returned from work at about 4:30AM) to listen to Carl's last episode. As always, the man nailed it- he was effortlessly professional. Peter Sagal's retrospective of his career with Carl is a portrait of a wonderful, caring friend and mentor. Some guy named Barry also bid a fond farewell to Carl Kasell, and his "parting words" ended the show.

I know I'll still listen to "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!", I'm too much of a fan of bad poetry to give it up, but I will miss Carl Kasell's mellifluous voice every week.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Kasell recently had a cameo on The Simpsons, and since that's the pinnacle of any career

Indeed.
~

Tengrain said...

Oh, man! That was as close to the classic Hollywood Squares as anything, with all of 'em trying to be Paul Lynde. I hope the show continues.

Regards,

Tengrain

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Indeed.

I'm hoping for a "Thunder" cameo on the Simpsons.

Oh, man! That was as close to the classic Hollywood Squares as anything, with all of 'em trying to be Paul Lynde. I hope the show continues.

Yeah, plus it's always nice to hear Charlie Pierce on the radio.