Sunday, February 28, 2016

Mark It Up

I'm not exactly a huge fan of electronic dance music, although I do dig the old stuff like Kraftwerk and YMO, and I'm not exactly not a fan of a lot of it. Twenty years ago, the band Underworld, which formed in 1980, had a hit song with Born Slippy, a 1995 single which was featured on the soundtrack of the film Trainspotting. While familiar with the song, I really didn't pursue any of Underworld's catalog, though the band has a new single out, and I'm really digging it. Here's I Exhale, which will be released as a single next month (WARNING: play the video, then switch to another browser tab so you don't get Pokémon seizures)





This song sounds so different from the band's previous work, it's almost as if someone told the singer to Mark E. Smith himself by 10% or so. Here's The Fall's 'pop tune', 1988's Hit the North for the sake of comparison:





I'm a big fan of the Fall, so I'm digging the Underworld now that the singer decided to 'Mark' it up.

3 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

You ever hear a band called Ultrasound? They only ever release one full album (although it was a double) and a bunch of singles/ EPs.

I got clued into them from a music site that was active in the late 90s early 2000s. Dude turned me onto Sarah Records...

Anyways, they have this amazing crossover between prog rock like Pink Floyd, noise like Sonic Youth, and drone pool like some of Field Mice. Plus, the singers are a few steps above Mark's level of singing....

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Like it!
~

OBS said...

Pokémon seizures

Hey now, are you implying posting seizure-inducing content is a bad thing!?!?

Harumph.