Saturday, September 2, 2017

Have a Good Time, Picking up the Remains of your Shattered Lives

I've had things pretty good all my life... I've experienced lean times, I've had frugal stretches, but I've never experienced long-term privation. That being said, I'd like to think that I have a sense of empathy. I have experienced the aftermath of a destructive storm, but I had a dry dwelling to return home to. At any rate, I would not be the sort of person to tell a bunch of evacuees who have just lost their homes and possessions to 'have a good time'.

I love words, I love the English language (and, to tell you the truth, other languages, all other languages enchant me), I think I have a pretty good grasp on speaking extemporaneously. It doesn't take a goddamn genius to avoid telling a bunch of people who have experienced terror, loss and displacement to 'have a good time', as if they were camping out for a lark.

I can't fathom what sort of cognitive/emotional deficit it takes for an individual to be so blithe about the ruination of others' lives... and the fact that such an empathy-free monster is heading up our government creeps me the hell out.

4 comments:

Fiddlin Bill said...

Trump's comment is comparable to the old horrible advice about rape: "lie back and enjoy it."

bowtiejack said...

Fox News in-house "psychiatrist" (sorry not gonna say his name or link to it) has posted an analysis of why there's nothing emotionally or mentally wrong with his boy. Apparently it's just losers jealous of his "success" who say otherwise.

But you don't have to go to psychiatry school to see that there's something really, really wrong with our Donald. A psychiatrist witness I had in a mental competency hearing years ago (retired lawyer here) put it best, "The average person can tell you whether someone's acting nuts. I just put labels on it."

mikey said...

He's utterly incompetent in terms of the job, but hell, millions of Americans liked what he was selling enough to make him president. To me, that's a much more important data point than the fact that he's fucked up in the head. Trump will end, but those American citizens who voted for him are still out there, hating people, demanding they lose their human and civil rights and basic dignity, and threatening anyone who points out their fundamental lack of democratic values...

Unknown said...

Trump's comment is comparable to the old horrible advice about rape: "lie back and enjoy it."


หนังใหม่