Monday, October 2, 2017

Really World, WTF?

Wow, the news is terrible... the mass shooting in Las Vegas last night was the worst yet. The radio news is goddamn depressing, better put on the local FM music station... GODDAMNIT!!! Tom Petty just died. Just fucking great, world...

The radio has been playing a string of Tom Petty's songs this afternoon... the guy had a long, variegated career. Talking about his death with a co-worker, I came to the conclusion that Tom Petty was the mac-and-cheese of popular music- he may not have been the most flamboyant performer, but he always delivered a satisfying performance. While not the greatest vocalist, his distinctive, sometimes droll/sometimes lugubrious twang was perfectly suited to his songs about underdogs. I also appreciated the fact that he matured before the public eye- in one case, famously disavowing his former display of the Confederate battle flag as he came to terms with his Southern heritage. Yep, he was a reliable fellow, always good, often excellent, with lyrics which expressed the uncertainties of life and love. He also had quite a sense of humor, which was often self-deprecating- no pretentious egomaniac here. My all-time favorite Tom Petty moment is featured on a live album, when the audience takes over singing his breakout single 'Breakdown' in harmony, and Mr Petty lets them roll with it, joking, "Gonna put me out of a job!"





Now, there was a man who trusted his fans. He wrote a bunch of enduring songs, not all top forty hits, but songs which will be played for posterity. It's been a shitty day, coming home from an overnight shift, the news was dominated by the Las Vegas mass shooting, but not even tuning out the news improved the day>

3 comments:

Harry Hamid said...

I don't have any of his albums, which is sort of unusual considering my age and how many albums I own, but I was always aware of him - he was always there, in the background.

He wrote so many songs of my youth, and was responsible for the greatest couplewt of the Nineties wherein he rhymed "tattoo" with "a tattoo, too."

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

That's too funny, because I am in the same situation... you know he's going to be played on the radio, no need to buy an album.

As far as 'classic rockers' go, though, he's one who I never consider overplayed.

mikey said...

Petty's 'Refugee' was a really important song at one point in my life. I was quite thoroughly strung out, very much living 'like a refugee', and he seemed to be speaking directly to me, reminding me that'everybody has to fight to be free' and there were other options for my life to take...